Future workers: how they add value going forward
Five key characteristics of workers who will survive and thrive in the future:
- Present as experts. Non-experts will get automated or outsourced. Those with strong critical thinking and problem solving skills will thrive.
- Work with the actionable 2%. The overloaded and overwhelmed won’t be able to keep up or add value. Focusing on what matters is crucial.
- Have a pocket brain. Nobody can hold everything they need to know in their head. With a pocket brain they won’t have to.
- Are networked to other experts. The expertise of a single person is very limited. All will be required to leverage the wisdom of their network.
- Are instrumented. Gone are the days when knowledge workers were an intellectual black-box. Transparency will reign and value will be determined by what employees know, contribute and apply.
These characteristics all point toward workers who operate at the insight-level, and are not overwhelmed with information/content.